The Irish Lions family has a long tradition in Diabetic Screening. An important feature of the daily program at our annual holiday project in Trabolgan every summer is the provision of an opportunity for our guests to have a free blood test for Diabetes. From a guestlist of some eight to nine hundred people, it is not uncommon to discover a small number of diabetic sufferers who would not otherwise have been aware of their need to seek medical intervention. This service is provided by a team of professional nurses on a voluntary basis at the behest of our own Lions Diabetes Screening Supervisor, Lion Ann Blount from Bray Lions Club.
We have also provided this service on a number of occasions at national events namely the National and World Ploughing Championships and, in 2009 at the Killag Show, where we screened between four and five hundred people.
This is an excellent opportunity for us to promote the Lions message. Refreshments were provided on the day for the nurses and Lion members by Lion Peter Hussey and his wife Marie from their campervan located on the Lions stand.
Diabetes Ireland report that at present there are an estimated 191,000 people with the condition with approximately 30,000 of these undiagnosed.
Diabetes risk factors *
You are more at risk of getting type 2 diabetes if you:
- Are over 40 years of age
- Have a parent or brother/sister with diabetes
- Had diabetes during a pregnancy
- Are overweight for your height
- Do not take 30 minutes of physical activity daily
- Have high blood pressure
- Have high cholesterol
And/or recognise any of these symptoms:
- Blurred vision
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Extreme thirst
- Frequent trips to the bathroom (urination) especially at night
- Rapid and unexplained weight gain or loss
- Frequent infections
- Numbness, pain or tingling in your hands or feet.
* this information is courtesy of Diabetes Ireland – www.diabetes.ie